Home > Financial Issues > Dealing With Inheritance Tax

Dealing With Inheritance Tax

By: Beth Morrisey MLIS - Updated: 18 Jun 2016 | comments*Discuss
Inheritance inheritance Tax estate

When someone dies any private property and possessions owned by that person becomes known as his or her estate. It becomes the duty of a chosen executor (as stipulated in the deceased’s will) or administrator (appointed by law if no will exists) to, among other things, have this estate assembled and documented, valued, taxed correctly and finally distributed it to those who stand to inherit either by the terms of the deceased’s will or by the laws of intestacy/succession (if no will exists). Dealing with Inheritance Tax can be a headache, but it must be done before the estate can lawfully pass hands to those who stand to inherit.

Assembling and Documenting the Estate

Whoever is appointed to act for the deceased’s estate will need to assemble and document (as much as possible) the deceased’s possessions. Very often details of the estate – both debts and assets – will be found in the deceased’s personal documents or held with his or her solicitor. Common items in many estates include:

  • Current, savings or building society accounts.
  • Private property, or shares in private property.
  • Jewellery.
  • Family heirlooms.
  • Art.
  • Vehicles.
  • Stocks, bonds and/or other financial instruments.
  • Private pensions.
  • Items of historical value.
  • Trusts.

Valuing the Estate

While it is possible for the executor or administrator of an estate to value it by him or herself, it is best to use a professional valuer who understands the delicate details of this process. For example, there may be situations in which there are items that the deceased gave away but in which (s)he still kept an interest and/or items that were given away within the last seven years that will need to be included in the valuation. Debts too will need to be factored, including outstanding mortgages, unpaid bills and funeral expenses, among other things, as well the value of any trusts. Professional valuers or chartered surveyors (in the case of property) will be able to determine the open market value of the estate which is needed for tax calculation purposes.

Paying Inheritance Tax

If the estate is valued at higher than £300,000 (for the tax year 2007 - 2008), £312,000 (2008 – 2009), £325,000 (2009 – 2010) and £350,000 (2010 – 2011), then the value of the estate above this figure will be taxed at 40%. If it is likely that some Inheritance Tax will be due, then Inheritance Tax form IHT200 should be filed. Generally the Inheritance Tax due will need to be paid within six months from the end of the month in which the death occurred or interest will begin to accrue. There are many methods by which Inheritance Tax may be paid, including by cheque, transfer or giro from a personal account (including one held or jointly held by the deceased), with British Government Stock that was held in the deceased’s name or with National Savings investments that were held in the deceased’s name. Once this tax has been paid, a “clearance certificate” can be issued upon the filing of form IHT30.

Dealing with Inheritance Tax is usually a complicated matter, one that is best sorted with the help of professional valuers and experienced solicitors. The Probate and Inheritance Tax helpline (0845 3020 900) is also available to answer questions during working hours on Mondays through Fridays.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
[Add a Comment]
dw - Your Question:
I am 1 of four children our mother died in northern ireland on 5 nov 2015, the house and a small sum of money was left all bill have been paid, three children want to rent the house out but I do not, were do I stand.

Our Response:
Who are the executors of the Will? They can overrule and decide to sell if the beneficiaries cannot agree.
FacingBereavement - 20-Jun-16 @ 11:04 AM
i am 1 of four children our mother died in northern ireland on 5 nov 2015, the house and a small sum of money was left all bill have been paid, three children want to rent the house out but I do not, were do i stand.
dw - 18-Jun-16 @ 11:40 AM
@ber. If you were entitled to half the estate you should have received some of the value of the house - the fact that your sister took out a mortgage suggested she bought your part of the estate? You need to follow this up via a solicitor. The Will should be available to view on the Probate Register.
FacingBereavement - 16-Jun-15 @ 12:33 PM
I only found out last year that when my grandmother died 15 years ago that she left her estate to myself and my sister.My sister was the Executor but never informed me that I was left anything in the Will.I have checked with the Land Registry office and my sister took a mortgage out on the house and then proceeded to sell it six months later for a substantial sum.I have contacted a solicitor who has informed me that she was entitled as the Executor to take out a mortgage and also to sell the house - is this information correct?
ber - 11-Jun-15 @ 3:21 PM
@Brio. Check on the Turn 2 us website we cannot really say without having all your details.
FacingBereavement - 16-Feb-15 @ 2:11 PM
My mother who is 93 years of age has just suffered a very serious stroke and the outlook is not good to say the least. I am her son also 69 years old and her only family as she has been widowed for a long time she has no more children she has never worked.i am disabled for which I receive the top grade allowance I have a small amount of savings and obviously not working so my request is can I get help with funeral costs when my mum is no longer with me and if so who do I contact ..regards Brian Horsley thank you
Brio - 14-Feb-15 @ 10:27 AM
Sorry @Susan Treen. We are not sure what you are asking. Have you inherited a property?
FacingBereavement - 10-Feb-15 @ 12:22 PM
do i need to change the name on the deeds and can i do this or does the solicitor? as the are chasing me for accent. i don't evan know what that means. thank you
susan treen - 6-Feb-15 @ 9:45 AM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • C77
    Re: What if There is No Will?
    My father walked out on my mother leaving behind me (1) and my brother (3) he was having an affair and went on to purchase a house…
    20 February 2017
  • Jade
    Re: Assistance With Funeral Costs
    Hi I'm an 18 year old full time university student my mum died suddenly on the 7th febuary, the government are refusing to help…
    20 February 2017
  • Diane thompson
    Re: The Rights to Obtain a Headstone?
    Can a head be stored at a relations place until the time of the unveiling or does it have to be taken straight to the…
    18 February 2017
  • Mary
    Re: Bereavement Payment
    Hi i completed the BB1 form, and I have been told today by letter that I am entitled to the widowed parents allowance but the one off…
    17 February 2017
  • FacingBereavement
    Re: How Grief Affects Your Relationships
    Papaeh - Your Question:To all the people that are dealing with a greiving spouse or partner, let me say this hang in…
    17 February 2017
  • MrsJim
    Re: Purchasing a Burial Plot
    Hello, I have a plot that I'm looking to sell as we are moving out of the area and I won't be able to use the plot. Also, because we'll…
    16 February 2017
  • Papaeh
    Re: How Grief Affects Your Relationships
    To all the people that are dealing with a greiving spouse or partner, let me say this hang in there as much as possible,…
    16 February 2017
  • FacingBereavement
    Re: The Rights to Obtain a Headstone?
    Doz - Your Question:I have chosen my late husbands headstone. I am wanting it to be erected on a saturday, as most of my…
    16 February 2017
  • FacingBereavement
    Re: The Rights to Obtain a Headstone?
    Darla - Your Question:My father passed away two years ago and my stepmother has not put a headstone on his grave. The…
    16 February 2017
  • Orion
    Re: How Grief Affects Your Relationships
    My girlfriends father passed away almost four years ago and we've been together for a year. Recently she has made a…
    15 February 2017
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the FacingBereavement website. Please read our Disclaimer.