Home > Special Circumstances > Repatriation Following a Death

Repatriation Following a Death

By: Beth Morrisey MLIS - Updated: 13 Sep 2014 | comments*Discuss
Death death Abroad death In A Foreign

Repatriation following a death is the process of returning someone’s body to the United Kingdom after (s)he has died in a foreign country. Repatriation can be an incredibly confusing process as you must work within different countries and different languages but there are supports in place to help you bring your loved one home. In fact, in the event of a repatriation following a death, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in the UK and the British Consul in the area of the death will both be able to help you navigate the process.

Dealing with a Death Abroad

If you were travelling with the deceased, you will be involved in the process of repatriation and will most likely be the person to take charge of the body. If you are on a tour or package holiday, a representative of the company will most likely contact the relevant authorities, including the British Consulate, for you. The British Consulate, in turn, will be able to walk you through the practical aspects of repatriation including working with local authorities, contacting funeral directors and funeral homes, and booking transportation home for both you and the body of the deceased.

An important part of working with local authorities will be to register the death in the country where your loved one died. This means that a death certificate from that country will be issued and may need to be translated into English. The British Consulate should be able to help you with registering the death and any translation or certification services you may need. You may also be able to register the death with the British Consulate and have a UK death certificate issued as well. This means that a record will be made for your loved one in the General Registry Office (GRO) Overseas Registration section. To register the death you will need the deceased’s full name, birth date, passport information (including when and where it was issued and the passport number), and information on next of kin. However, this may not be done in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa or Zimbabwe.

Returning Home with the Deceased

Returning home with the body of the deceased will require having it embalmed and then secured in a zinc-lined coffin. The British Consulate should be able to put you in touch with funeral directors in the country who will be able to prepare the body in this way. You will also need to carry a certified English translate of the death certificate, written authorisation from local authorities to remove the body, and a certificate of the embalming. The cost of repatriating the body may be covered by one of your insurance plans, but if it is not then you will not to cover the cost yourself. Depending on the circumstances of the deceased’s estate, these costs may be reimbursed later.

Once you arrive home with the deceased, you will need to arrange for a funeral within the United Kingdom. To do this you will need to bring the certified English translation of the death certificate to the register office or registrar in the area in which you hope to hold the funeral. Formal certificates will then be issued by this office and the funeral will be able to proceed.

Repatriation following a death is a confusing, emotional process. In the UK the Foreign and Commonwealth Office can offer more information on repatriating a body, while the British Consulate in the location of the death will also be helpful in arranging for your loved one to return home.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
@Nic. The British consulation and Foreign office should at least show you how you can register the death and help to transfer any funds to pay for costs etc. They should also tell you how much it will cost to transport the deceased back to the UK (but will not arrange this for you it seems). Sometimes your travel insurance company will be of more practical assistance...
Here is a list of what the British consulate say they will do if there is a death abroad:
"Keep the next of kin informed and try to ensure you don’t feel that you are on your own
Tell you the cost of local burial, local cremation and transportion of the body and personal belongings back to the UK
Provide a list of local and international funeral directors (see note 1). If an English speaking firm is not available, our staff can help you with the arrangements
Help transfer money from friends and relatives in the UK to pay any necessary costs. "
FacingBereavement - 16-Sep-14 @ 10:55 AM
My father in law died after a short illness while on holiday in Zante. Neither the British Consulate nor the FCO were of any practical use whatsoever. The whole process was nightmarish. What sort of assistance should we have expected? Thank you.
Nic - 13-Sep-14 @ 8:12 AM
We can't get travel insurance because we are in Greece and I am 60. We wondered what sort of costs we'd have to bear for a number of things - can anyone give a rough figure for repatriating a body from Greece to UK?
Retsina - 3-Jan-14 @ 2:02 PM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • James
    Re: Inheriting Property
    My great uncle left me a property a few years back. As my aunty outlived him he made it clear that she can live out her days in said property.…
    23 July 2017
  • Sherbear
    Re: Coping with Multiple Deaths
    I'm not sure what to say but I can relate to a lot of your posts to some level. Within 3 years, I lost a friend, 3 aunts ( two…
    23 July 2017
  • dorothy
    Re: How Grief Affects Your Relationships
    He seems so perfect, but doing a lot behind you, true love and a honest man is given by grace,my husband has been doing…
    21 July 2017
  • Jo.b
    Re: Inheriting Property
    Hi there. My husband and his mum inherited 25% share each of his grandparents house when his grandad passed away 8 years ago. His grandmother…
    20 July 2017
  • katy
    Re: Coping With Other People's Grief
    sorrow can't last forever,i believe in that when i met the lord through a great soul Sharon,it happens that i had a very…
    20 July 2017
  • Donna
    Re: Dealing With Inheritance Tax
    After finding no will when our father died she just wtook over with everything I had no say in anything she got probate and as she…
    17 July 2017
  • marisol27
    Re: How Grief Affects Your Relationships
    sorrow can't last forever,i believe in that when i met the lord through a great soul Sharon,it happens that i had a very…
    17 July 2017
  • Nana
    Re: The Rights to Obtain a Headstone?
    My grandchild died and I can't get my daughter to start a gravemarker for her, if they refuse to do this, can I with out…
    17 July 2017
  • Donna
    Re: What if There is No Will?
    My father died unexpectedly last year leaving no will to his house my sister who I haven't spoke to in 10years notified me by text…
    16 July 2017
  • Marie
    Re: Inheriting Property
    My dad passed away last year .in his will he left the house to my brother to live in as long as he'd like .but if he sells it or passes any it…
    15 July 2017
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the FacingBereavement website. Please read our Disclaimer.