Home > Special Circumstances > Repatriation Following a Death

Repatriation Following a Death

By: Beth Morrisey MLIS - Updated: 13 Sep 2014 | comments*Discuss
Death death Abroad death In A Foreign

Repatriation following a death is the process of returning someone’s body to the United Kingdom after (s)he has died in a foreign country. Repatriation can be an incredibly confusing process as you must work within different countries and different languages but there are supports in place to help you bring your loved one home. In fact, in the event of a repatriation following a death, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in the UK and the British Consul in the area of the death will both be able to help you navigate the process.

Dealing with a Death Abroad

If you were travelling with the deceased, you will be involved in the process of repatriation and will most likely be the person to take charge of the body. If you are on a tour or package holiday, a representative of the company will most likely contact the relevant authorities, including the British Consulate, for you. The British Consulate, in turn, will be able to walk you through the practical aspects of repatriation including working with local authorities, contacting funeral directors and funeral homes, and booking transportation home for both you and the body of the deceased.

An important part of working with local authorities will be to register the death in the country where your loved one died. This means that a death certificate from that country will be issued and may need to be translated into English. The British Consulate should be able to help you with registering the death and any translation or certification services you may need. You may also be able to register the death with the British Consulate and have a UK death certificate issued as well. This means that a record will be made for your loved one in the General Registry Office (GRO) Overseas Registration section. To register the death you will need the deceased’s full name, birth date, passport information (including when and where it was issued and the passport number), and information on next of kin. However, this may not be done in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa or Zimbabwe.

Returning Home with the Deceased

Returning home with the body of the deceased will require having it embalmed and then secured in a zinc-lined coffin. The British Consulate should be able to put you in touch with funeral directors in the country who will be able to prepare the body in this way. You will also need to carry a certified English translate of the death certificate, written authorisation from local authorities to remove the body, and a certificate of the embalming. The cost of repatriating the body may be covered by one of your insurance plans, but if it is not then you will not to cover the cost yourself. Depending on the circumstances of the deceased’s estate, these costs may be reimbursed later.

Once you arrive home with the deceased, you will need to arrange for a funeral within the United Kingdom. To do this you will need to bring the certified English translation of the death certificate to the register office or registrar in the area in which you hope to hold the funeral. Formal certificates will then be issued by this office and the funeral will be able to proceed.

Repatriation following a death is a confusing, emotional process. In the UK the Foreign and Commonwealth Office can offer more information on repatriating a body, while the British Consulate in the location of the death will also be helpful in arranging for your loved one to return home.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
@Nic. The British consulation and Foreign office should at least show you how you can register the death and help to transfer any funds to pay for costs etc. They should also tell you how much it will cost to transport the deceased back to the UK (but will not arrange this for you it seems). Sometimes your travel insurance company will be of more practical assistance...
Here is a list of what the British consulate say they will do if there is a death abroad:
"Keep the next of kin informed and try to ensure you don’t feel that you are on your own
Tell you the cost of local burial, local cremation and transportion of the body and personal belongings back to the UK
Provide a list of local and international funeral directors (see note 1). If an English speaking firm is not available, our staff can help you with the arrangements
Help transfer money from friends and relatives in the UK to pay any necessary costs. "
FacingBereavement - 16-Sep-14 @ 10:55 AM
My father in law died after a short illness while on holiday in Zante. Neither the British Consulate nor the FCO were of any practical use whatsoever. The whole process was nightmarish. What sort of assistance should we have expected? Thank you.
Nic - 13-Sep-14 @ 8:12 AM
We can't get travel insurance because we are in Greece and I am 60. We wondered what sort of costs we'd have to bear for a number of things - can anyone give a rough figure for repatriating a body from Greece to UK?
Retsina - 3-Jan-14 @ 2:02 PM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • BigJon
    Re: Inheriting Property
    My father recently passed away and has left me his home, which is mortgage free and full of furniture and personal possessions. He left all of…
    16 March 2018
  • Marie
    Re: The Rights to Obtain a Headstone?
    When two people who own the deed. And they can't agree on the name for a head stone. One person wants no last name. And the…
    16 March 2018
  • finlabal
    Re: How Grief Affects Your Relationships
    My boyfriend of 2 years broke up with me couple of months ago but he asked me if we can can start all over again. We are…
    15 March 2018
  • FacingBereavement
    Re: What if There is No Will?
    pj - Your Question:My abaned me at 13 to live with a man who turned out not to be my father. She gave up her parwntail right. I'm 23…
    14 March 2018
  • Kellyjo
    Re: How Grief Affects Your Relationships
    I really don’t know where to start I lost my Mam 7 months ago and have had so much rage and anger that I’ve lost my…
    12 March 2018
  • FacingBereavement
    Re: The Rights to Obtain a Headstone?
    D - Your Question:I my brother had the title deeds in his name for my dads grave from 1998 my mom was still alive and we…
    12 March 2018
  • katie
    Re: The Rights to Obtain a Headstone?
    my adopted sister is the exeutor of my mums will.My mum wi8shed to be cremated and interned with my brother and faher. This…
    12 March 2018
  • Tess
    Re: Inheriting Property
    My sister in law left money to my husband her brother if he had passed away the money was to pass to me unfortunately my husband has already…
    11 March 2018
  • Wheels
    Re: The Rights to Obtain a Headstone?
    My mum passed away 10 months ago she had a prepaid f plan but it didn’t cover the price of the burial plot so that had to be…
    11 March 2018
  • dee dee
    Re: The Rights to Obtain a Headstone?
    I got told the person who pays for grave first dad then mum they atomatic become deed owner ,so why was it given to my…
    11 March 2018
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the FacingBereavement website. Please read our Disclaimer.